Friday, February 22, 2008

Taking care of yourself

This is the random stuff that I was thinking over the last two pretty lousy days. Mainly that it's hard to take care of yourself. I see the same thing with a lot of people with weight issues... a history of things that lead to being good at being concerned about the people we love, good about being concerned about things that we are responsible for, but somehow, those lists don't include ourselves. It's hard to make time to do the things that we can do to make ourselves feel better, and it's even harder on a day when everything seems bad. Easy just to let it go, say screw it all for this day, and then... raid the refrigerator is the top thing, although I have to say I don't really do that any more. Skip the exercise. Don't do whatever things make you feel good and taken care of.

Sometimes I think I just missed some essential life-training class, the one where they taught you to brush your teeth and shine your shoes and care about you, you on your own, not you as spouse or parent or employee or son/daughter, or whatever other hats you wear. Trying to learn these essential life skill... well, it's like a language, isn't it? Easier to learn as a child.

Especially with this sluggish weight loss... if you can even call it that at this point... I spend every morning fretting about the scale. And Michael tells me to stop worrying, and he's right. Then by the time we go to bed, he starts worrying. And I tell him not to worry, and I'm right. I think, anyway. But still...

No comments: