Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thursday food

No teaching today, so a little more time for making food.

We started the morning with the usual protein shake and quiche slice. Yes, we're boring.

Then I had three of these chicken wings I made this morning plus a green salad (arugula and field greens, cherry tomatoes, scallions, cucumbers, a few walnuts, a bit of feta cheese, and a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar). Yum. The chicken wings are about 50 calories a segment. And I had a sugar-free chocolate. (Scale is just ridiculous in these pics; the wing segments look just as big as the drumsticks on the chicken below.

I had another of those segments just before dinner, well on my way to chicken overdose for the day, since dinner was this....


....which turned into this on the plate. What looks like mashed potatoes is cauliflower puree with garlic... just the best way to have cauliflower ever, with a just a touch of butter (the boys had the chicken version of the "culinary" gravy, two thumbs up from them, more lack of enthusiasm from me).




This is one of the last chickens from ChickenQuest... our September excursion to a farm about 70 miles from here in search of free-range chickens. Which is one of the idiotic things that you do when your husband has a weird sense of taste and decides that everything packaged is probably evil. I have to admit that I kind of secretly thought that this was silly, but I have to admit that these are absolutely the best chickens that I've ever eaten... and that I did nibble on the crispy roasted skin, not shown in the picture.

And I had about 1/2 oz. pork rinds and a small slice of Cheddar cheese before bed.

And here's a bonus picture... the beautiful cardinal on my backyard feeder. I always feel like the whole day is better if you get to see a cardinal.

No comments: