Monday, March 17, 2008

This week's weight

I was thinking that I was going to have something good to report this week, because yesterday my weight was lower than this, but this morning, the scales say actually up 1.32 lbs. from last week. Michael's change = 0. I could be a lot more bothered about this than I actually am. His weight loss was good last week, and he's looking thinner... so, fine, see what the week brings.

The other interesting thing is body fat. We weigh ourselves on the Big Tanita, brought from the UK, which (irritatingly) measures in kilos, but a few weeks ago in a fit of no-weight-loss frustration, I hauled the Small Tanita, my old body fat scale downstairs. On that, 51% body fat three weeks ago. And two weeks ago. Yesterday, in a flash of belated brilliance, I noticed that there are a pile of other buttons on the Big Tanita... oh, well, it does body fat, too. Duh. I've only been using this scale for... years..... SIGH.

Anyway. Body fat scales are notoriously inaccurate, but I don't really care precisely what my body fat is, I care if it changes. And today, I measure 49% on the Small Tanita and 44% on the Big Tanita. So, by any measure, down 2% although one certainly has to consider it pretty lousy body fat overall. Michael measures 72.2%... this is good because we couldn't measure him on the Small Tanita.

So Small Tanita can go back upstairs for my son, and I'll have another number to obsess over.

We had another of those "what can we do to lose weight faster" excruciating conversations last night. I don't know the answer. I don't think that there is one single answer. I do know that I've been a little less crazy since I stopped charting food obsessively, although I know I'll have to go back to it sooner or later. And cheese. I really do think that cheese in any quantity screws up the works... we had a little provolone yesterday, on burgers, on chicken for dinner, and of course thus I nibbled on it too. Better not to eat it at all. Parmesan and other condiment cheeses are ok; but if I can eat it in a slice, I'll probably have too much of it.



No comments: